Friday 27 April 2012

Choose right method for each subject

Okay! So I will hit directly to the point. Almost all of us have faced this question at some point of time while we prepare for exams - "How can I prepare this subject easily?". We try to frame out our own strategy for that particular subject and we are successful sometimes. This is the positive part of the story. But later we try to apply that same method to all other subjects and we mess up. This is what I experience almost every time but I never gave much thought to it. But this time I just spend some time pondering over this and realized that we need to chalk out different method for each subject.


Why do you need different method for different subjects?


Let me give you one example. I had a subject called "Internal Combustion Engines" in my 6th semester of Mechanical Engineering. Though this subject did have calculations and sums but it had theory also. I started with it and kept mugging hard and felt lost after few days. I was sure that I was doing literal "labor work" that was far unnecessary. There was no particular method that I was following. I was reading and repeating like a parrot. 

Later I realized that revision is important when you have to remember something. So I started jotting down the questions that I made myself in my notebook. I simply used to see those questions and try to answer them in mind. If I was successful, I used to get confident that I know it! It I can't answer, I would know where I lack. And this process was far more faster rather than revising using text book.

Later I tried to do this with "kinematics of Machines" which involves lots of formula and relations. This method did not work there and I stuck up. In this case I actually needed to calculate the sums. This is how it is! 

Different subjects...Different methods!

How to chalk out the right method?


I cant answer this one for you. You will have to mull over this and see what you find difficult.  But to get some idea, ask yourself:
  1. What is the purpose of subject?
  2. Is it theoretical or applied?
  3. Do you like it?
  4. If you don't like it...why?
  5. What can you do to make it more interesting? For Maths and Science I take the responsibility to make it interesting for you.