Thursday 18 October 2012

Things that matter, Things that should matter

What is the most important thing for you to do right now? You all know the answer to this question for yourself ...right? At least you have some faint idea. No matter how much carefree (or careless?) you might be, you always have some vague idea about what is "ideally" important for you.

For vast majority of human beings, idea about importance and priority is literally skewed. I am no exception. Things that currently matter should never have mattered to us. At least not so much as it currently matters. Things that should matter never bothers us at all. We know this fact and still we don't improve.

Few things that should have mattered to me is my performance at CAT, my manual completion work at college, my contribution to National Social Service, my sleep, my health, my relations and social life in real. None of these really mattered. Honestly I have no idea how am I going to finish all the pending work I currently have.

Few things that should never have mattered to be but still did...someone telling me that I can't crack CAT, someone telling me that I am irritating, discussion and arguments with people who simply can't get my point, those sugar coated people who are all set to curse me behind my back... Facebook notifications from person whom I don't even know very well. These people and related things should never have got my attention. But still it did. Why? Just because I could not nail down what is really important to me AT RIGHT time.

That is where the key to the lock lies. You know what is important but you simply get carried away when you should have focused. Once your focus shifts to unwanted thing, you think about them only. Believe me, focusing on wrong things can be as harmful as focusing on right things is useful.

Have you see a spot light? Imagine a stage performance. Now if that spot light in focused somewhere else other than a performer how would be the performance  No matter how well the performer performs all will be useless. That is where focus comes into play. 

It is a time to ponder a bit. Take a pause. Switch off your cell. Take a paper and note down what is really important to you...who is important to you and why. "Why" part is not always important but still ask yourself anyway. Make multiple copies of your final list. Stick it at different places so that you can remember what really matters to you. For initial days it can be bit difficult. This phase is the shift of the focus. But stay with the list with tenacity and your focus will on the right lines.

Take sometime to share your experience with us.




No comments:

Post a Comment